¿Quieres reaccionar a este mensaje? Regístrate en el foro con unos pocos clics o inicia sesión para continuar.

Farewell David Coulthard with memories of Michael Schumacher duel

Farewell David Coulthard with memories of Michael Schumacher duel Empty Farewell David Coulthard with memories of Michael Schumacher duel

Mensaje  max_pole Dom Nov 02, 2008 2:20 pm

Peeling into the downhill left-hander, the McLaren edged ever closer to its scarlet quarry. There was another, slower car ahead - and the Ferrari driver’s momentary hesitation was about to cost him the race.

Felipe Massa v Lewis Hamilton? Not at all. This was the 2001 Brazilian Grand Prix, David Coulthard v Michael Schumacher, and the Scot still rates his victory that day as one of the finest of his career. On a damp track he chased, passed and beat a driver whose wet-weather aptitude was customarily second to none.

At the time, Coulthard claimed he had never felt more elated after a race victory ­– and this weekend he is poised for another emotional rollercoaster at Interlagos, albeit for different reasons. Tomorrow’s grand prix will be his 246th and last, after 15 seasons in Formula One.

“It was only when I was about to get in the car, on my way to the airport, that I realised I’d be going away as a grand prix driver and be coming home as an ex-driver, a Joe Bloggs,” he said. “That’s the first time it really struck me.”

Coulthard is happy to be leaving the sport on his own terms and admits he thought his career might be over after the 2004 Brazilian GP, his final race for McLaren. “When I left the paddock that weekend, I had nothing,” he said. “Nobody was interested. When I was saying goodbye before going off to that race, I shed a few tears.”

But Red Bull offered him a career lifeline and he has spent four seasons with the team, adding a couple more podium finishes to the 60 he scored with Williams and McLaren.

He never won the world title – second in 2001 was his highest finish – but he has won 13 races and his tally of 535 world championship points puts him behind only Michael Schumacher, Alain Prost, Ayrton Senna and Fernando Alonso.
www.telegraph.co.uk
max_pole
max_pole
Moderadora

Femenino
Cantidad de envíos : 1115